Tuesday 1 December 2015

Salomon Action Asia Trail Run in assoc with Otterbox @ Janda Baik

salomon action asia trail run in association with otterbox - it was pretty last minute for me to join this race. in fact, i was already registered for another race. but duty calls. so i found myself at the startline in janda baik on a sunday rainy morning.

i think i had a couple of concerns tucked at the back of my head. 

1. it was raining. i heard from colleen that the route was muddy. the rain would mean that it would be even muddier. and i don't do well with wet trails, greatly exemplified by my avid cursing doing the technical wet trails during tmbt. i'm very upfront about my weakness. and i knew mud was one of them. so i was quite worried how this would affect my performance.

2. like i said last minute. my s-lab sense 3 is pretty worn out. i love that pair of shoes. so much so i use it for everything, from training, to speed work, to racing, to lsd, to ultra races, you name it. so of course it is pretty worn out. so i was in a complete dilemma as to whether i should wear my pink salomon x-scream 3d or my slab. the former is abit heavier (meaning soaking in the rainwater would make it even heavier), however, i know it would perfect running on concrete should i need to run on concrete after having my shoes dragged through mud. my s labs are perfectly comfortable, would remain lightweight even if soaked in mud, would offer me better grip (it it weren't worn out), but would lack working on concrete as well as my x-scream. after much hesitation, i decided to go with my x-scream. i decided to go with safety. i would just have to work with heavier shoes.

3. because this was super last minute, i did not train on any trails. all i could do was to rely on my road running, and hopefully i would pull through. the last time i was on a trail was in august. pretty much self explanatory i would think.

so i thought through how i should run the race as the organizer kind of mapped out the route. the beginning was a 1.8km ish road run downhill, then you turn into a single trail which would be muddy. after that you would come to a wider path. and it's all easy from there (yeah right was what colleen said, and yeah seriously, easy my foot!). i know my strength would be on the road. and my weakness on any muddy technical sections, and wet downhills. my uphill isn't that much great either. so i knew i had to take advantage of the 1,8km road and put in as large a gap as i can.



upon flagoff, is also when i sped off. i saw colleen zoom pass me, i knew i had to push on harder. because, this road here, supposed to be my strength. anything after would not play to my favour. i had to play to my strengths. so i pushed on harder. i went really fast on the road. but that speed stopped abruptly upon entering the trails.

we were greeted with a mud fest. the mud was knee deep. i had trouble getting through the mud. i kept getting stuck. so i threaded carefully. i didn't want to injure myself. but after coming out into the open trails. that's where i fely more comfortable. the gravel downhills. and here was where my shoes worked perfectly for me. i ran the downhills like the wind. there was a part where i remember was significantly slippery, so i slowed down alot. i brisk walked most of the uphill sections, making sure to push on the downhill portions to make up for my slow uphill.



there was one point where i heard colleen shout out to me. it was super nice of her to give me the motivation to push on. i was walking uphill at that point. that scream, made me start running again.


i think the most memorable section of the trail was this super muddy steep uphill. i could barely move up. i tried to climb a step up, but i slid 2 steps down. i literally had to go down on all fours to pull myself up. i grabbed on to the grass and literally had to pull myself up.

i was super glad to see the finishing line after. i knew i looked like i had gone through alot, with mud every where. but nonetheless, it was a great experience, despite the cuts i now have all over my legs. to come in champion was just a bonus. the experience was priceless.




many thanks to salomon malaysia and action asia for the opportunity to run this race. final trail race for the year 2015, and what a way to end it.





No comments:

Post a Comment