Thursday 9 October 2014

the first step

2 weeks ago, i was up in langkawi for the ironman event, as a mere spectator/supporter/cheerleader. 

i was inspired. it was a congregation of people of all ages, sizes and nationalities. the oldest participant being 77 years old, and the youngest being 19, it made my biggest accomplishment so far seem so little. suddenly my 42.195km run meant close to nothing, compared to what these guys are doing. these guys were inspiring. and somehow they managed to ignite a spark in me, to dare to dream that i could be one day be one of them. and so, here i am. 

for those who are clueless as to what ironman is, let me enlighten you. you start with braving through a 3.8km swim in the sea, then you hop on a bike and challenge yourself with a 180km bike course, and as if that was not enough, the sweet finale is a 42.195km run. you have 17 hours to complete this, arguably the most famous endurance race in the world, to qualify and earn the title 'ironman'. if you run down that red carpet before the race clock strikes 17, you are an ironman! 



i was one of the supporters this year. i stood by the sidelines, cheering, shouting encouraging every participant that crusaded pass me. they were strangers. i was a stranger. but i'd like to believe that my support for them meant something to them. as it would have meant the world to me in any race. the local langkawi people were supportive as well. having required to race under the blistering sun, one lady even took out her water hose and sprinkled the oncoming athletes with cooling water. it is this support that i admired. you got support from family, friends, competitors, racers, and even strangers. i even went so far as to dream that my family would come down, come 2015, to support me and cheer for me. 




unfortunately, my hype  for this ironman dream has not been well received. i've gotten plentiful of doubts and discouragement, but in this pool of negativity selected few have encouraged me. by selected few, i really mean 3 people. but i won't let myself be discouraged. 

so here i am, i will begin to document my journey to ironman 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment