Tuesday 25 November 2014

new balance run 2014

new balance run. 21km. 23rd november. 615am flagoff. 

i woke up at 450am, again questioning my sanity. you will find this happens to me always (me questioning my sanity). i was feeling pretty tired. i had quite a number of runs in november - viper and pd duathlon back to back, then the ipoh half marathon, followed by the new balance half. i had a sigh of relief when i thought next weekend, i can sleep in - no runs. typical me thoughts when i get up way too early. 

i got there, stored my bag at the luggage storage, and made my way to the starting line. it was my first alone race. i had no friends doing the race as this event clashed with the lekas highway cycle, and alot of people opted for the latter. so, standing alone, listening to my music, i tried to weave my way to the front. i didn't manage to get right in front, but where i was, it was decent. 



3,2,1, flagoff. it was pretty dark at the flagoff area. i almost ran into a pole, i kid you not. but it was a pretty okay run for me. i kept an okay pace. i didn't have ankle pain. i did however have a slight lower back ache. other than that, my run was pretty okay. they had sufficient water stations. no markers as to distance though. i didn't wear my watch, so i had no clue as to my pace. nor were there any distance markers, so i had no idea how to pace myself either unfortunately. i really should get myself one of those running watch thingimajiggies. but i have so much things i need to get i kid you not. triathlons - expensive sport. 

i crossed the finishing line at 1 hour and 53 minutes. it wasn't my personal best. but i still thought it was decent. i was slightly disappointed that i did not get a number. usually, upon placing, you are handed out a number. i didn't get one. 

prize giving ceremony was about 30 minutes later. i decided to stay and wait. just because i wanted to see how far off i was from the 10th placer. so i would know how to manage my expectations next time. 

but then, a little more than 20 minutes later, they started announcing a list of names to show up at the 'finishers tent'. and i heard my name. i smiled thinking of the possibility. 

i proceeded up to the mc, with a bunch of people. we wanted to ask whether this was the finishers tent, but before we could finish our question, we were interrupted by the MC. 

'can you guys don't ask anything. just stand there. don't say anything. don't ask anything. can't you see i am busy looking at the names.' 

then one of the organizers, well i assume he was because he was wearing a tee saying organizer, chimed in saying 'don't ask anything. just don't say anything. don't ask anything. Don't disturb us.' 

i thought this was really rude. nevermind that the orgnanizers messed up. that they failed to give out numbers hence causing alot of the winner to have just left and went home. there were quite a number of unclaimed prized. nevermind that they organizing wasn't perfect. events have flaws. we learn from them. yes. but being rude is completely, utterly, unacceptable. 

before any question was asked by anyone, significant or not. we were just told to not ask anything and stand aside and not disturb them. this, i personally feel is unacceptable. some girls were so offended they merely replied 'i don't want your prize, you can have it.' and stormed off. 

i did claim my prize. i left shortly. but i was and am still in disbelief. is this how you treat people who win your race? is this how you treat paying participants of your race? i must admit i was hoping to get one of those cup trophies so i could drink from it hahaa. 



oh and congrats to one of my new running friends en zhen for you placing in the 10km category. many more to come=)



No comments:

Post a Comment